Cambridge to Hamilton Paddle Race
SUNDAY 18th SEPTEMBER 2022
About The Event
- The paddle race is open to all types and classes of boats, from Stand up Paddleboards to Wakas.
- Competitors start at the riverside reserve in Cambridge and work there way 25km down stream to the finish line at the Waikato Sports Fishing Club/ Hamilton city Hawks Club rooms.
- For those wanting to tackle a lesser distance, there is also the option of entering the 11km half from the narrows landing.
- CRNZ Youth Challenge, 10km race.
- Red Paddle Co Youth Sup Challenge 10km School Stand up paddle board race. Gear and board included in entry!
- Online entries close at midnight Friday the 16th Sept 2022.
- All competitors and support crew must scan into contact tracing.
VIEW RACE RESULTS HERE
Cambridge Start Times
Venue: Cambridge Boat Ramp ,Dominion Ave ,only access from Williamson St
7-00am to 8-30 am Rego
9-00am Race Briefing
9-30am Cruiser div, and sit on tops
9-35 am SUPs under 12ft 6”
9-40 am SUPs 12” 6 and over
9-45am Sea Kayak singles
9-50 am Corp Doubles ,Wakas 2 ,adventure race doubles
9-55 am Club skis ,and Prone boards
10 00 am Multisport Singles ,and wakas singles
10-05am Surf skis ,K1s ,Surfski doubles ,K2s
10-10 am Waka 6 ,Surf boats
Narrows Start times
Venue: Narrow Boat Ramp off Narrows Lane
11am Youth SUPs 11km
11-05 am Youth Kayaks 11km
11-10 All others 11km
These times are only approximate ,and subject to change on the day !
If you need to hire a kayak or any kayaking apparel a range of sea and multisport kayaks are available through The Boatshed Kayaks Ltd. Contact us either via email [email protected] or phone (07) 827 8286.
After the success of last year we have kept the cruising division. This is to encourage anyone who hasn’t paddled this section of the Waikato River before to get out and have ago .The cruising division will start ahead of the main field. There will be no timing provided for this group, hence the lower cost. This means no age group prizes, but you will be placed in the draw for spot prizes.
So if you know of anyone who would enjoy giving this paddle ago, this is the option for them .It will be a very safe time to explore this beautiful section of the Waikato river, with all of the other paddlers and safety boats out there, and provide a great Sunday activity.
- All competitors and support crew must scan in to contact tracing.
- Only one Support member per competitor.
- No on the day entries
- Prizegiving will be hosted online.
- Face masks to be worn by all safety boat members.
- Hand sanitizer stations in place, for competitors, staff and support crews to use.
- Level 2 competitors and support crews asked to pack up gear and leave the finish line once completed the race.
- All staff, competitors, support crews and volunteers asked to comply with social distancing.
- If feeling unwell please do not attend event
- Competitors should, where possible, bring their own driver to avoid having to return to the start of the race and possibly miss the Prize giving.
- The Auckland Canoe Centre Trophy will be awarded to the crews of the first four boats home from any NZCA registered club.
- Age categories – competitors must be the age specified in the category, on the day of the event.
- Bring money. Food not included in the entry.
Bio security New Zealand reminds all competitors that it is expected they have cleaned all gear before leaving their base, in order to slow the spread of the invasive alga didymo. This means all boats and equipment used in the water (including footwear) must be cleaned either using a 5 percent solution of dishwashing detergent or any one of the other cleaning methods available on their website www.biosecurity.govt.nz/didymo. This is especially important if competitors are coming from theSouth Island, and is a requirement under the Bio security Act 1993.
Stop the Spread
Check Clean Dry is no longer just about Didymo. Unwanted aquatic plants and pest fish can be transported between waterways via plant fragments, unseen fish eggs and wet gear. Help stop the spread of freshwater pests between lakes and rivers through your actions, CHECK CLEAN DRY.
How to Check Clean Dry:
CHECK: All your equipment and remove any visible matter such as weed or algae.
CLEAN: If your gear has not been dry for at least 48hrs then clean with a 5% detergent and soak for at least 1 minute. For example, a 5% solution is made by mixing 50 ml of detergent with water added to make 1000 mls (1 litre) total.
DRY: Drying is an acceptable alternative method, provided that all components are completely dry to the touch, inside and out, and then left dry for at least another 48 hours.
- Under 18yrs 23km (full) – $40
- Under 18yrs 11km (half) – $30
- Over 18yrs 23km (full) – $7
- Over 18yrs 11km (half) – $50
- Cruiser Division 23km (full) – $60
- Cruiser Division 11km (half) – $40
- Waka 6 man 23km (full) – $180
- Surf Boat 23km (full) – $180
- Surf Canoe $120
- u12 – $40
- u14 – $40
- u16 – $40
- u19 – $40
School Sup entries include Red Paddle Co Board, PFD, Paddle, Safety boat on water.
Also, the option to race in the Sup Cross event (fee included)
- u12 – $40
- u14 – $40
- u16 – $40
- u19 – $40
School Sup entries include Surfski Kayak, PFD, Paddle, Safety boat on water.
Also the option to race in the Sup Cross event (fee included)
- STANDARD includes double hire – $220
- BRONZE includes double hire, 1x private lesson $275
- SILVER includes double hire, 1x private lesson, 6x Sunday sessions $550.00
- GOLD includes double hire, 1x private lesson, 6x Sunday sessions, stickers on boat, and race day promotion $750
All entry fee charges are in NZD.
Early bird entries end on the 1st July, after this date extra an $10 per person will apply.
You will receive an email confirmation of your entry immediately from the entry system. If you don’t receive this you can login and resend it to yourself.
For payments made via Credit Card, the name which will appear on your customer statement will be THE BOATSHED KAYAKS.
We will refund the amount paid less $10 admin fee if entries are cancelled prior to Wednesday 29th September 2021. No refund will be paid after 29th September 2021.
In extreme weather or Force Majeure the event may be cancelled at any time. In this situation entry fees are non -refundable, although we will do our best to reschedule the event.
The following divisions are available:
- Cruiser (un-timed open to all types of paddle powered vessels-not eligible for medals)
- Multisport – single
- Adventure Race Double
- Sea Kayak single – plastic
- Sea Kayak single – composite
- Sea Kayak – double
- Waka – single
- Waka – two or more person
- Waka – six man
- Surf Ski – single
- Surf Ski – double
- 3m Single Plastic Sit on Top
- 3m-4m Single Plastic Sit on Top
- 4m+ Single Plastic Sit on Top
- Double Plastic Sit on Top
- Stand up Paddleboard 12’6 and under
- Stand up Paddleboard over 12’6
- Corporate/ Family Double
- SURF Boat
The Family/corporate double 23km (full course) includes kayak hire.
- Race numbers to be displayed on the left-hand side of your vessel.
- Approved buoyancy aids MUST BE WORN on the water and positive buoyancy devices installed in all craft.
- If a competitor pulls out, they must inform the nearest marshal as soon as possible. Rescue craft will be available, but competitors are expected to assist others when required and apply for time compensation from officials.
- One major hazards of paddling the Waikato River are the willow trees along the side, please be cautious that if you are a relatively in-experienced paddler we advise you to stick to the middle of the river and in the event of a capsize place yourself on the upstream side of your craft.
- It is not compulsory; however, given current alert levels we do have the options for anyone who has visited Auckland in the last 14 days to wear a ‘coloured arm band’ these are handed out at race rego’s. If you have been in Auckland in the past 14 days and are assisted in a rescue, please make your rescue team aware after. This will not impact your rescue in any way!
- Please sanitize where possible and do not share gear.
All staff, competitors, support crews and volunteers asked to comply with social distancing.