Have a basic paddleboard lesson with one of our experienced guides before setting off on a fun adventure in an inlet where you can paddle along hidden waterfalls!
- Adult Ages 13+
- Child Ages 5-12
- Private Boutique Tour Upgrade - Adult Ages 13+
- Private Boutique Tour Upgrade - Child Ages 5-12
Glowworm Kayak Trip in the Waikato River
Bring the whole family along for an unforgettable kayaking trip! We start from the Epworth camp and kayak our way down a truly beautiful section of the Waikato River to the Pokaiwhenua stream. With stunning twilight lake views, we head under the Pokaiwhenua Bridge and into the glowworm canyon.
Draped with native ferns, the canyon offers a true slice of New Zealand Beauty, and as the light fades away, the unique incandescence of the glowworms starts to shine from the surrounding walls. After a quick glass of some of New Zealand’s finest wines (hot drink for the kids) complemented with some tasty cheeses enjoyed over the warmth of a campfire, it’s back in the boats, as we drift slowly downstream using only the light from the glowworms. Viewing glowworms from a kayak on the surface of the world is a whole different experience from seeing them inside a cave, like at Waitomo.
For the safety of our clients and to ensure you have the best experience out there, we are an Adventure Mark safety audit certified company.
- This trip requires only a moderate level of fitness.
- The trip is fully guided by experienced Boatshed guides.
- Trip departure times vary depending on daylight hours, ranging from 4:45 pm to 7:45 pm — one hour before sunset.
- There is a minimum group size of 6 people, so advance bookings are essential.
- There is a maximum group size of 16, and we like to use double sea-kayaks, so if you have an uneven group number, you may be put with someone else.
Weather and What to Bring
- As this is an outdoor adventure, it will pay to bring some nice warm clothing, a waterproof jacket, and gloves if you have them (although not essential). NO JEANS.
- This tour is weather dependant. We will use the number provided when booking to contact you regarding the weather and to remind you of what to bring.
- If the weather looks poor, we will give you the option to rebook. We then wait until 10 am the following morning to make a final decision on trip departure. If the trip is canceled, it is simply a case of rebooking to another evening that suits.
- Warm, waterproof jackets will be provided, and waterproof pants will be available.
- All kayak equipment (kayak, paddle and life jacket)
- Private Boutique Tour Upgrade Includes: Mulled wine or hot chocolate, s’mores and cheeseboard